Sunday, August 15, 2010

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day

The 15th of every month is when garden bloggers show off what is blooming in their gardens. Most of my summer bloomers have finished but the ornamental grasses are just starting to show their blooms.


This is one of my favorite, Chasmanthium latifolium - Northern Sea Oats.
 It will grow in full sun, part shade and full shade.




The Butterfly bush 'Nanho Blue' is putting on quite a display and
 has hummingbirds and butterflies visiting every day.



This is the native Rudbeckia laciniata, Green-headed Coneflower, and it is 7 1/2 feet tall.



The Floribunda rose 'Golden Fairy Tale' is reblooming.


This spring I bought a mixed bag of Dahlias to try, I usually do not grow summer bulbs
 because I have a hard time keeping them from drying out over the winter.
 But I hope this dinner plate size one survives this years' storage.

   

The hummingbirds have been visiting the cosmos daily, a new behavior this year.
 "Flowers always make people better, happier and more helpful;
they are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul."
~ Luther Burbank ~

Drop by May Dreams Gardens to see what's blooming in other gardens.

Happy Gardening.

20 comments:

Mama Ecolo said...

Oh they're all just so lovely!

Carol said...

Lovely lovely portraits of your blooms! I especially love the yellows and grass. ;>)

Piecefulafternoon said...

Oh your garden is wonderful - mine is about done as I only have summer flowers this year. We are building a deck next summer and will cover the current gardening space so I didn't want to plant much - but wait until next year.

Pondside said...

That yellow rose........exquisite.

garden girl said...

I love northern sea oats, and would plant it if I wasn't so intimidated by the thought of all the seedlings.

Beautiful flowers - Happy Bloom Day!

Nancy's Notes said...

Absolutely stunning photographs! I love, love flowers and these are out of this world gorgeous!

Happy I found my way to your blog!

Nancy
Nancy's Notes

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

You have beautiful blooms and great photographs. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You are not too far away from me I guess. If you are close to Niagara Falls, look me up sometime and we can garden walk and garden talk.

Salix Tree said...

Beautiful yellow rose! And I love the oats.

Kate said...

Hello and Happy Bloom Day! What fab photos. Everything is so pretty. I've never heard of Northern Sea Oats but I'd sure love to give it a try. Very interesting texture. :)

noel said...

aloha

what a great poem and it goes so well with your flowers you have some beautiful blooms today, i'm a real fan of that oat grass also :)

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Beautiful photos. Love the Dahlia.

Iris said...

Gorgeous photos! Not sure I've seen that pretty blue butterfly bush before. Maybe it would survive here--will research. Happy GBBD!

Birdwoman said...

Those colors really pop! I love the butterfly bush.

Debbie/GardenofPossibilities said...

Don't you just love the seed heads of Chasmanthium? I bought three a few years ago and planted them in various locations around my garden - mainly to see how much shade they could take - and I must admit I'm a bit disappointed with them so far. I'm hoping one day they'll look as lovely as yours.

Rhondi said...

Those are beautiful photos of what's blooming in your garden right now. Thanks for stopping by. I finished reading The Forgotten Garden and loved it!
Hugs, Rhondi

Tufa Girl said...

Lovely photos of lovely posies!

leavesnbloom said...

Great compositions of what's blooming in your garden.

Bella said...

Hi Jen... Your photos and garden look fabulous... the Northern Sea Oats is amazing up close so delicate!
Bella

Georgianna said...

Beautiful images! That dahlia is something else. I don't grow them as I find them too fussy but they certainly are spectacular. Thanks so much for visiting! – g

Betty Jo said...

OH My! These are gorgeous. I love the sea oats. What a gorgeous plant. That reminds me that I have some grass photos I need to post at some point. I so love shooting nature, don't you?