Thursday, September 2, 2010

Friday's Flowers

It has been very hot and humid here for the first week of September. I do hope we receive the rain that is forecast for this weekend. The garden would love the rain and I would love cooler temperature. The fall bloomers are just starting to put on their show. The ornamental grasses are starting to look wonderful.


Imperata cylindrica 'Red Baron' - Japanese Blood Grass is turning a lovely shade of red.



Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hameln' - Fountain grass is flowering.
  They look like hairy caterpillars to me.



The Rudbeckia are still going strong.
The Goldfinches have been devouring the seedheads of the older blooms.



Ligularia dentata 'Othello' is visited everyday by the hummingbirds.



Hemerocallis 'Happy Returns' just keeps flowering.
I have it growing in both sun and part shade. It flowers equally well in both locations.

Please visit Tootsie Time to see what is blooming in blogland.

I would like to thank everyone for their support and comments concerning my lost picture. I see it has happened to many of you and your suggestions have been a great help. Thank you.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.



12 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Jennifer, A sequence of lovely images showing that there is still much colour and much of interest in your garden at the onset of autumn. The Japanese blood grass is a truly superb colour and obviously does well for you. Years ago I had it but it was always inclined to sulk. Wrong plant, wrong position, I imagine.

LC said...

Lovely photos ... I especially like the first one!... thank you for visiting my blog... L

Pondside said...

The first photo, with the red grass,is just gorgeous. Having just returned from Ontario I can attest to the the damp heat - it was a shock to the system!

Piecefulafternoon said...

I just love what grows in your garden. Lovely photos.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Hi: I just bought the grass Hameln this morning to add to my collection. Doesn't it look nice. I posted a daylily too. Terrific photos.

paula, the quilter said...

O my. That first photo of the blood grass and Rudbeckia is absolutely stunning. What a wonderful color combo. I'll have to remember that for a quilt.

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Goregous flowers and beautiful photos!!
*hugs*deb

Karen said...

This is my first visit to your lovely blog, how impressive! Is the blood grass perennial for you? The color is so striking! All of your flowers are so lovely. I hope you received some rain; here in Wisconsin we have gone from the high 80's to around 60 degrees today, with a very boisterous wind blowing. Fall is in the air. Have a wonderful weekend!

Alison said...

Pennisetums are one of my favorite grasses, I love the pic of yours. I have 'Karley Rose' planted beside my stream. I just planted a Ligularia this year, it's still small and hasn't flowered yet. I don't think it got quite enough water, so I moved it recently to a better spot. Very pretty pic of your daylily too, another favorite!

Crafty Gardener said...

You still have some lovely blooms in your garden. We had a brief thunder shower that already passed through late this afternoon, and now we are under thunder storm watch for the evening. I too, am looling forward to a bit cooler weather.
Enjoy the long weekend.

Missy said...

What stunning photos - all of them. I love the close-up of the fountaingrass & I wish we could grow Japanese Bloodgrass here. It's amazing.

lbc flower delivery philippines said...

Oh' those yellow flowers are so pretty! I love it. Can you post some information about it. Thanks for sharing!


-yumi-