Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day

Wow, it is hard to believe a month has passed and it is again time for Blogger's Bloom Day.  I thought we would start with pictures of my 'naked ladies' (Colchicum autumnale).  A new name I found for them in the gardening magazine, Garden Making. The name fits them perfectly as they bloom without leaves, the leaves come up in the spring. They like well drained soil and dry summers, perfect as I garden on sand. They are sometimes confused with autumn crocuses, one difference being crocuses have three stamens while colchicums have six.


Since they flower without leaves, they just appear without warning.
This is a picture of one taken early in the morning, before it fully opens.



The colchiums are growing very close to one of my many lavender plants. After the lavender finishes blooming I cut them back, but this plant has decided to give flowering one more try.
 I was very surprised to see a few flower stems.



This is the flower of Sedum 'Matrona', they are usually a brighter shade of pink.
But this plant always flowers this soft pink color.



One lone flower on the Campanula persicifolia (Bellflower).



This is a volunteer from the many sunflower seeds the chipmunks collect from under the
birdfeeds and plant around the garden.

Visit our lovely host May Dreams Gardens to see
 what other garden bloggers have blooming in their garden.

Thanks for stopping by and happy gardening!


19 comments:

Bella said...

Hi Jen,
Gorgeous photos! I love Bellflowers (could a flower be more cottage?) Mine sadly were not so good this year, so I have enjoyed yours:-)
Bella

julieQ said...

How beautiful...no words really suffice except thank you for sharing...I think buds are a promise, collective energy waiting to be revealed!

Tootsie said...

every photo is just soooo perfect! I love them all! I am now following your blog friend...sorry it took so long to find you but I am glad I did!

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

Stunning photos. My favorite was the campanula.

Town Mouse said...

Great photo! I really like the naked lady. Funny, we have naked ladies too, here, but they are Amaryllis belladonna. Same thing, though, pink and no leaves. I guess it is suggestive...

Heather said...

Lovely pictures - beautiful blooms!

Ellada said...

Hello,
Bravo for the beautiful picture.

Kate said...

Such lovely photos! And, I like that idea of the 'Naked Lady' -- what an interesting plant. I wonder if it would grow in my garden?

Happy Bloom Day! Your garden is looking terrific.

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Your sedum and lavender blooms are so pretty.
I have never grew any colchicums so I did not know they came up with out leaves. Interesting. You are still getting blooms on your bellflowers. How wonderful. Mine have gotten one or two after all of the deadheading. This time of the year I will take any blooms that come out.
I love the tote bag on your side bar. So pretty!

noel said...

aloha,

what a beautiful garden you have presented to us this september, your individual plant studies and macros are quite lovely :)

Lavender Cottage said...

Jen, I cut my lavender back after the first bloom and they are in flower again now.
I took great pleasure when I first wrote about colchicums years ago in my column to title it 'Naked Ladies'. :-)
Judith

Gail said...

jen, Lovely flowers~I especially like the bellflower! I want to try them here~I was so taken with them when I was in Colorado~But that would be a cool weather plant and not for my southern garden! Colchicums are wonderful flowers~Must add them to the garden, too! gail

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Beautiful blooms and photos.

andrea said...

what a dreamy looking campanula you have there... and thanks for the lesson as to why fall bulbs without foliage are called 'naked ladies'... now i know why i've heard the same term applied to fall bulbs here in texas, even though they're different species!

Georgianna said...

That Campanula photo is so magical, Jen. Love all your late summer beauties! – g

Carol said...

Beautiful photography! I love your first one and the Campanula! ;>)

Birdwoman said...

Oh my! What lovely flowers you have this Bloom Day. I do love love seeing what is blooming in other parts of the continent each month.

Pondside said...

I'll never forget where I first saw those 'naked ladies'. It was in front of a house I'd passed every day since moving to a new neighbourhood. The pink was such a surprise amidst the fall colours - of course I had to have some for our garden.

Rose said...

Lovely photos! I never knew the name for "bare ladies" or "naked ladies" either till I started blogging. Good to see the chipmunks are doing something useful in the garden:)