Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Grandma's Dishes

My mosaic on Monday was of my trip to Creemore and I mentioned places we had seen and the dishes I had found to help complete my Grandmas set.
Many of you wanted to know what a 100 Mile Store was. This is a store that sells grocery items that are grown, produced or made within a 100 miles of the location of that store.  In Ontario environmental groups have been pushing consumers to buy produce within a 100 mile radius of where they live.
So a group of concerned people opened what they call The 100 Mile Store in Creemore, Ontario.
All items sold in the store are grown and produced locally.
It was fun to visit and explore the labels on the jars, cans and bags to see where they came from.


I am always looking for items to complete my Grandmas dishes.
They are a wonderful cream color with a gold and floral pattern rim.
I found 3 plates, 4 salad plates and a teacup and saucer while we were in Creemore.



 A place setting with my husbands family silverware.
I had no flowers to add to the table
 so I added one of my Moms' cermaic flower arrangements.
It matches perfectly.





This is a picture of the soup bowl.
I now have dinner plates for 10, salad plates for 6, soup bowls for 6,
bread plates for 4, dessert bowls for 4,
tea saucers for 6 but only 3 teacups.




A picture of the mark on the back of a plate.


This last picture is called Illustration and I did it in camera and not in Photoshop.
It is amazing what happens when you start pushing buttons, I was looking for some other
menu and found this creative window by mistake. And I thought I new my camera, Surprise, Surprise!
 Takes that statement 'get what you want in-camera
so there is less time fixing on the computer' to new heights.

Thanks for visiting today and take care!











18 comments:

Edith Hope said...

Dear Jennifer, Your grandmother's china is very pretty and your collection is really building up. I notice that it was made in England and although I recognised the design I have not ever owned anything made by the Grindly factory. I shall now try to find out more.

The 100 mile store sounds a wonderful idea. And, as you say, so interesting looking to find out where all the items have come from.

Jackie said...

Hi, thank you for answering about the 100 mile store,it is a great idea, I suppose it is similar to a Farmers Market.

Love the china, good quality, I have to say that as it is British!!!

Have a good day, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

Carol at Serendipity said...

Jen,

What lovely dishes and the silver is beautiful. I like the concept of the 100 mile store.

The things our cameras can do. I try lots of things - can't always remember what I have done but if I stopped to take notes, I would lose my creative edge!

Carol

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Jen,
Your grandmother's china is lovely and I love the silverware; love the sparkle! The concept of a 100 mile store is quite appealing. Have a beautiful day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Sarah Knight said...

Lovely : )

Sall's Country Life said...

Beautiful dishes! Your grandmother had very good taste. I didn't know cameras had a feature like that?? What will they think of next...don't answer that...I'm already way behind!! I also like the name 100 mile store, we sell our pickles at a couple stores like that, but they're a little farther than that, I guess we're a little more spread out here in South Dakota. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to go have some tea in one of Grandma's cups.
Lisa

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jen
Your grandmother's pattern is pretty and how lucky you found some more pieces.
Thanks for sharing them, better still, how about lunch on them one day? Bring out your silver tea service too! :-)
Judith

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

What pretty dishes. You had a pleasant road trip and a bonus in finding more of your Grandmother's dishes.

Pondside said...

What pretty dishes. I like the old patterns so much more than the new ones.

Piecefulafternoon said...

The dishes are beautiful, so happy that you could get some pieces. We are looking for Pink Willow (like Blue Willow but in pinks) They come dear so our search must include thrift shops and yard sales.

I like the 100 Mile store idea. We have one like that here - it is called Everybody's Store - great concept - and great items.

Georgianna said...

Just love seeing your grandmother's china, Jen. It's so charming and I'm glad to know what the pattern is. I'll keep a look out for cups, especially!

Bella said...

Hi Jen,
I love the 100 mile store, a great idea, you guys up there do a great job being enviromental, i wish we could say they same down here!
Your Grandmothers china has a great cheery pattern, the ceramic flowers are a great match!
Bella

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful pattern...and lovely photos! I've been playing around with techniques, too! Enjoy your weekend! ♥

LV said...

These are truly lovely dishes. You have been fortunate to have found so many pieces.

Betty Jo said...

What a gorgeous set of china! I adore that pattern. ♥

Char said...

These dishes are beautiful and I just have to say the soup bowl is perfect in every way. What a gorgeous pattern, and it's attached to so much love, Char

Suzy said...

Such a beautiful pattern...I have a weakness for old china!

Janie Walsh said...

I too love blue and white china dishes. How wonderful to have been able to buy so much from the sale. Thanks.

Blue Willow China