Sunday, December 26, 2010

Flowers in Bloom

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.
It was very quite here, which was a nice change.
An amaryllis bulb was on my Christmas list this year and
I received three, the one from my middle son arrived early as it was growing in the box.
Poor thing was shaped like an S and white in color.
We planted it up and put it in the window and it bloomed in time for Christmas.

 
It is a double called Pasadena, a beautiful red and white.
 There is another bud coming between the two flowers.


I am hoping this bud will open before the first blooms die off.
But if not, there is another shoot coming from the base.


It is determined to bloom, even with its' poor start.
The second amaryllis was my Dads', it was given to him in the hospital
and it has put up another flower bud. It is the same color as Pasadena but is a single bloom.

The third is still in the box, no activity from that bulb.
I would like to plant it the middle of January.
It has a pink bloom and would look great in February.
I received some other wonderful gardening gifts and will keep them for another post.
Did you receive any great gardening gifts?






11 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

beautiful amarylis
some garden items were given to me too

Piecefulafternoon said...

Ohhhh so pretty. I do love the flowers on Amarillas. I have nothing growing that might bloom - but I will certainly enjoy yours.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a pretty Amaryllis! I have just one and it looks like it will bloom in a week or so.
Gardening gifts are always my favorite type of gift!

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jen
Your amarylis is a pretty colour. No gardening gifts here but did receive tea things. My one cheeky daughter even asked if she`d see her gift to me on my blog.
Don`t want to disappoint her. LOL
Are you doing anything for new year`s eve, we`re going to a friends place for dinner.
Judith

Laura~DancesWithTeddyBears said...

I'm glad you had a good Christmas, Jen. Beautiful amaryllis, and great photos of them.
Our Christmas was good, quiet like yours. Sometimes quiet is good. Hugs

Sheila said...

Do hope you will see the expected blooms. My Mom always loved the amaryllis bulbs we gave her at Christmas and she passed away 15 years ago on Boxing Day. Hope special memories of your Father will comfort you in the year ahead.

Naturegirl said...

A wonderful traditional Christmas bloom!Not one garden gift!
Wish you a Happy Holiday!
It has been a pleasure getting to know you through our blogging!
hugs Anna

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Beautiful amaryllis Jen. I did not receive one gardening item. Got a nice backpack for my camera lens though.

Sharon Lovejoy said...

What could be better than living things for Christmas. My living thing is our variegated buckthorn, which we used as a Christmas tree. It was lovely and looked like it was covered with snowflakes. Moved it outside today to plant in a huge terra cotta pot.

Sending best wishes for a joyous new year.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Becca said...

I've never tried to grow these. They are beautiful, I guess it's not too late? I like the paper whites too. No gardening gifts, but some crafting fun!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Beautiful flower Jen (I know what it is but I'm not gonna' try to spell it ;>).... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!