Thursday, June 2, 2011

Casualty of the Wind

It has been a weird spring here; rain, more rain and more rain along with very cool temperatures. Mix a couple of days of very hot weather and the garden does not know who is supposed to be flowering and who is not. I still have very early creeping Phlox flowering and now the peonies and roses are budding.

The last couple of days have been very hot and humid, but yesterday it was so windy all my tall bearded iris fell over. I have been cutting them and bring them into the house.


This a bud of a bronze iris I purchased from a plant sale. It was only call bronze iris.
So I do not know its' name.


It has ruffled edges,


orange beards,



speckled fells,


and seems to glow from the inside out.

They are sitting in a tall vase on the kitchen counter, their perfume is beautiful.

Thank you for stopping in and visiting today.





15 comments:

Annesphamily said...

Love that pretty ruffly flower! Love the garden! Hugs Anne

Lona said...

Sorry about the wind toppling your iris blooms. That is such a beautiful one Jen.I love its ruffling edges.

skoots1mom said...

i LOVE take macro shots of flowers, butterflies, etc...there is NOTHING so beautiful as His handiwork in such minute detail...
good shots!!

(Queenmothermamaw) Peggy said...

Wow I love that color. We went through the wind and broken necks of our Iris. I only have purple. They were taken from my mom's supply years ago. They are very dear to me.
I would to try to paint that color Iris. May I copy your photo?
QMM

Deb said...

Gorgeous...

Becca said...

Oh my! Your photos are stunning! I love bearded iris, and the color of yours are so unusual. I completely understand about the wind. Last year the wind ruined mine. I'm so glad you were able to bring some indoors to enjoy. Did you cut them? I will have to remember that next year if the winds don't play nice. :-)

paula, the quilter said...

That's what happened to my iris too. Dang wind.

Giga said...

Jest bardzo ładny. Kolory ciekawe jak na irysa. Bardzo ładne zdjęcia. Pozdrawiam

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

That Iris is beautiful At least now you can enjoy its beauty inside.

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

You do the BEST closeups! I love how you make something a person sees all of the time so new and incredible. Thank you so much. I love swinging by here and seeing what you are up to.

schöngeist for two said...

wunderschöne Blüte ein Traum von Foto

Liebe Grüsse Elke

Piecefulafternoon said...

So sad they fell down - but at least you get to enjoy them for a little while longer in the house.

Mary said...

Love those ruffled edges & speckles! Beautiful photos!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Gorgeous iris! Mine are just starting to bloom here. They are such a beautiful flower.

Bernideen said...

Iso enjoyed my visit here looking through your lovely blog!