Thursday, August 4, 2011

What It Looks Like Now!


In early spring I posted about our Blue Spruce, here, needing to be cut down because of dieback. This photo was taken this morning after a day of rain yesterday, hurrah.


Trees and shrubs that are plated include: Pinus flexilis x' Domingo'(Pine Domingo), two Picea abies 'Nidiformis' (Nest Spruce), a Juniperus x pfitzeriana 'Aurea Improved' (Gold Coast Juniper),  a David Austin Rose 'Ausblush', a native St. John's Wort, and a Minute Weigela. Perennials include: Shasta Daisy, Iris, Basket of Gold, Lavender, Tree Peony, Purple Conflower, Phlox (tall and creeping). Right now they are all babies so I have planted annuals which include geraniums, alyssum, portulaca and cosmos. The cosmos seeds were from Renee's Garden and as you can see in the above photo some are as tall as the pine, which is 6 feet tall.


This cosmos is called Dancing Petticoats. It is an offspring from 'Seashells' which has dainty tubular petals, 'Psyche' whose semi-double frilled blossoms are like softly ruffled crowns and 'Versailles' the aristocratic florist cosmos with perfect form and rich colour. Dancing Petticoats comes in apple blossom pink, deep magenta, soft rose and pure white, some with deeper coloured centres. It is easy care and blooms non-stop.


A smaller variety Butterfly Cosmos called Little Ladybirds is also a carefree bloomer with semi-double flowers on short, open branching plants that spread as wide as they are tall.  The bright coloured blossoms come in crayola orange, clear butter yellow and rich scarlet. 
I am going to let some go to seed at the end of the summer and hopefully they will self seed next year.

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day!!!





14 comments:

Pondside said...

It's going to be a beauty, that tree!

The Ebullient Gardener said...

What beautiful pictures! Love the blooms! Your blue Spruce looks great! Thanks for sharing! Happy Gardening! Mindy

Jo (Pieceful Afternoon) said...

The garden is just coming along wonderfully - love the flower photos.

Lona said...

I think your bed looks lovely. Love the push plow by the way. Those cosmos do get big sometimes. I love the petals on your pink Petticoats.
It is so strange that I plant cosmos seeds in a bed and they hardly grow but just let one of those seeds land in the pathway where I do not want it and it grows six feet tall. LOL! I have this huge beauty growing there now. LOL!

Linda said...

You garden looks wonderful...I love cosmos...but then they get so tall and fall over...bbut this year I planted a chocolate cosmos...from a plant because that's how I found it...it smells like chocolate too! Anyways...it's smaller and I'm collecting the seeds to hopefully have more next year! Your photos are wonderful!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful gardens.I love the Cosmos,but for some reason never grow them.I guess I will have to change that.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

It is wonderful to see that the area is filling in just nicely now. I have some of Renees seeds of Zinnias and they are spectacular. Going to order more next year. Lovely photos. V

Porch Days said...

Dancing Petticoats and Little Ladybirds are great names. I would plant them just for the names! Nancy

Sheila said...

I love the names of your cosmos flowers! the colors are so brilliant. Lovely flowerbed!

Sarah Knight said...

Lovely : )

Rettabug said...

I just love that description "crayola orange"...soooo appropriate!
Thanks for sharing your pretty surroundings, Jen. My plantings have been severely neglected in this dreadful heat. I am really looking forward to fall so I can go play in the dirt again.

Hugs,
Rett

Janie2 said...

The flowers are beautiful, great garden of threads. Catching up with blogs I follow, and not dissapointed by your post. WOW.

Landbohaven said...

Smuk have.
Sk√łnne blomster.
Tak for kigget.

bijja said...

Just so beautiful images.
I love this blog!