Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mosaic Monday - A Special Cow

While visiting Scotland in August I fell in love with their Highland Cows. An ancient breed of cattle that originated on the northern steppes of Mongolia more than 6,000 years ago and brought to Scotland by the Vikings in the sixth century. They came to North America by cattlemen in North and South Dakota in response to the cold and harsh weather there. Highland cattle were imported to Canada from Scotland in 1880, and have been a 'closed herd' (meaning only purebreds can be registered) since 1964. I have found a herd (or a fold, as they say in the old country) one and a half hours from my door at Quiet Pine Farm in Mulmur, Ontario. I went for a visit today.


With a significantly thicker hide than other breeds and two coats (one downy and close to the skin and one long, thick and well oiled to shed the rain and snow), they can withstand blizzard conditions and temperatures as low as -40 degrees C. These cattle are extremely efficient foragers and will browse happily on vegetation that other breeds would ignore, making them well suited to pasturing. They are very independent, gentle and thrive in small herds. Linda, wife in the husband and wife team, told me today each has a personality all its' own and there is a pecking order to the fold. 

This post is linking up with Little Red House for Mosaic Monday.

I am so glad you stopped in for a visit.
Take care and have a wonderful week!!!

22 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They are just amazing! They seem to have an expression on their faces that says they know they are special! ♥

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

So cute. V

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Your mosaic made me smile today...I love those cows!

Carol said...

I love those cows :) Such a cool "hairdo" they have.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

They certainly have a unique look. Seems like perhaps the legs are shorter than that of our regular cow.

podso said...

Interesting post! And such great photos and closeups! Have a good week!

Lorrie said...

The first photo on the left reminds me of a young child with bangs that need trimming. So cute.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

I understand why you like them...they're wonderful!!! Have a beautiful week!!!

Teagarden said...

I love this mosaic!!! Thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful week,
Markus

Crafty Gardener said...

Great mosaic. Interesting looking cattle. Glad you found some to visit and photograph.

Jo (Pieceful Afternoon) said...

What charming little creatures - thank you so much for sharing photos and information.

cathy@home said...

I love your Mosaic it certainly made me smile love the hairdos and the expressions on their faces priceless

Pat said...

Beautiful livestock!

A wonderful mosaic!

Lona said...

Cow's with bangs. I love it. LOL! They do look adorable compared to other cows.

mary said...

I don't doubt it they are so cute. They can be my pet hehe. Happy Monday!
Mosaic Monday

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing this - I don't think I have ever seen cattle like that.

ellen b. said...

Love these shaggy cows! What fun to take photos of them. Have a wonderful week!

Mary said...

They are so wonderfully photogenic! Thanks for sharing at MM> :)

Red Rose. said...

Very interesting story! These shaggy cows look so gentle.
RedRose.

Katy Noelle said...

We have several herds of Highland Cows in the vicinity, here, in VT, too. Vermonters like to do things uniquely, you know!;) There's lots of alpaca, too.

The main thing is, aren't they so funny and cute - the way they stand there looking out from under their bangs? =]

Marlene@FlareFabrics said...

I can see why you fell in love with them, what character they have! Great photo treatment.

Lesa said...

Very cute and cuddly looking. Wonder if they moo with a Scottish brogue?

I used to see some shaggy little cows in a herd near here-- and always felt sorry for them in the Okla summer heat.

Thanks for the visit!