Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mosaic Monday - Diamond Botanical Garden

While visiting the island of St. Lucia hubby and I took a tour of 
the Diamond Botanical Gardens.





The gardens, mineral baths and waterfall are a portion of the 2,000 acres of land granted to
3 Devaux brothers by King Louis XIV of France in 1713, in recognition of their
services to 'Crown and Country'.

It is claimed that as child, Empress Josephine, wife of Napolean Bonaparte bathed
in the original baths while spending holidays at her fathers plantation in Soufriere, called 'Mal Masion'.

In 1928, Mr. Andre du Boulay owner of Soufriere Estate and Diamond Baths excavated the site and restored 2 baths out of the original 12 that had been destroyed by the 'Brigands' during the French revolution.

These baths are fed by the original spring water, similar to the waters of 'Aix les Bains' in France. 
 The original holding tank built in 1784 is still in use.

In 1983 on the death of Mr. Andre du Boulay, his daughter Joan Devaux (du Boulay) became manger of this family property and began designing, restoring and planting the gardens.

I am linking with Little Red House for Mosaic Monday.

I hope you have a fantastic week!!!

22 comments:

Marydon said...

What a beautiful setting ... & love the history to along with it. Even more romantic a story ...

I hope you will pop by to help us bring 'angel love' for a young girl who is sick.

Thank you.
Have a beautiful week ~
Marydon

Crafty Gardener said...

That looks like a fascinating waterfall to see in person.

Nancy said...

What beautiful shots you got while on vacation. I especially like the waterfall...It's amazing...

Bernie H said...

Well worth sharing! It seems we thought along similar lines for our Mosaic Monday post this week. I too posted about a special parkland/botanic garden in my home state.

Snap said...

I love botanical gardens and this looks spectacular!

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jen
Lovely photos, I really like how the red bridge stands out amongst the greenery.
Judith

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

The lovely red was the first thing that just popped out at me. I would like to stand under the waterfall. V

black eyed susans kitchen said...

What a uniquely beautiful place this is! So glad you captured it and posted.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know that is a fabulous place to visit...so much beauty! I had a friend travel there and she brought me back a beautiful hand painted bag! Love your photos! ♥

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

Looks and sounds like a beautiful place!

Carol said...

Looks like a fabulous place to visit. Pretty mosaic.

Vee said...

That waterfall is all aglow and coppery. Very pretty! Interesting history, too.

Magnolia Cottage said...

St. Lucia looks like a beautiful place to visit. Your photo's of Diamond Botanical Gardens and the story are lovely. We visited Bush Gardens last month and loved it! Thanks for sharing. Blessings,

Lisa

Pondside said...

How beautiful! I think I'd love to bathe there, with the tropical flowers all around.

Teacup-In-The-Garden said...

What a beautiful mosaic!
Thanks for sharing this!
Have a wonderful week,
Markus

Jackie said...

What a great waterfall photograph. It looks a place that I we would love to visit, I love Botanical gardens. Two years ago we visited Tresco Abbey Gardens on the Scilly Isles in Cornwall, a place well worth visiting if ever in the UK!!Have a great week, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

Henrietta Hassinen said...

That must been wonderful place, like paradise. The waterfall looks so unreal with all minerals coloring the rocks.

eileeninmd said...

What a beautiful place to visit. The waterfall is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing some of your trip. I hope you have a lovely week ahead.

cindy said...

Lovely. Just what I needed to start my day.

Tricia @ Bluff Area Daily said...

Beautiful garden, love the bridge! =)

Kim, USA said...

Beautiful view!

Crab Apple

♥ Helen said...

Beautiful photos in your mosaic.