Monday, April 16, 2012

ColourMe Weekly #16 - Trilliums Abound


The trilliums are just starting to bloom in the woodland garden. They grow 18 to 24 inches high and have one flower which rises from the leaf axils. There are three outer sepals which surround three petals 2 inches long and three pale green leaves whorled around the stalk. It requires a moist deciduous forest to grow in and has a growing range from Tennessee, Georgia,  North Carolina, north into Canada and west to Manitoba. The trillium is the Provincial flower of Ontario. 

It is believed picking the flower kills the plant which is not true. But the flower will not appear until the following year and repeated picking will eventfully kill the plant. 
The seed requires 83 days of cold to germinate and then two winters in the soil. The roots start to grow in the first winter and by the second the initial shoots start to grow. For the first 5 to 6 years of life it produces only leaves. When it does flower they emerge as white, then slowly turn pink.

They will slowly spread by rhizomes if the conditions are to their liking. But ants love them. About a quarter of each ripe seed contains an oil and when the seeds fall to the ground the ants take them back their nest, where they eat the oil and leave the seeds on the ground.

Native Americans used a solution made from the rhizome for various ailments, including ear infections and rheumatism.  The solution, which is astringent and antiseptic, was used as an external dressing for inflammation or to control bleeding during childbirth, hence the name "birth root".

This is my first time I am joining Rosie at LeavesnBloom for ColourMe Weekly.
Stop in to see the beautiful storyboards.

Have a wonderful day!!!


20 comments:

Anna said...

Beautiful color harmony and light in this capture! Thanks for all the trillium facts. They are an amazing plant, one that I look forward to each year. When our woods fill with their blooms, it is an extraordinary sight!
Have a great week and thanks for stopping by:)

canuckquilter said...

I love trilliums! I remember camping in the Thousand Islands with carpets of them around when I was a kid. Thanks for prodding my memory!

Lona said...

Just gorgeous Jen. I love the pure white of their blooms.

Michelle Renee said...

A simple beauty for sure!

Alison said...

I love Trilliums! Thanks for all the great info about them.

Rosie Leavesnbloom said...

Yeah you finally got to join in! Love the trillium and it's one plant that I've never grown before though admired in other peoples gardens. I think the original cost of the plant has always put me off buying as my conditions are difficult in the garden to cope with.

ju-north said...

You've captured that trillium beautifully! I wonder if we have them over here (UK)?

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jen
Great shot of the trillium.
Judith

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

This a beautiful little flower.

PrairieJill said...

Beautiful! I love trilliums!

Scotkat said...

I am in Scotland and cant resist them I bought another trillium yesterday was hoping to get it planted in my clematis haven border today but its heavy rain.
I so enjoyed reading about your trilliums thank you.

cathy@home said...

Lovely flower.

Pondside said...

I miss the trillium in the Ontario woods at this time of year. We have a teeny patch of trillium here. It never gets any bigger but at least it reappears each year.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How interesting. We had a lot of trillium at my Dad's house in the forest. The trillium was down near the creek and was always beautiful to see....all colors, too. I loved the dark crimson red. I love your photo and color chart!

Porch Days said...

A beautiful photo with colors. Thanks for the fascinating information about the trillium. I had no idea it took so long to establish them. I enjoy seeing them in the woods.

Fifi Flowers said...

GORGEOUS flower!

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much love trilliums. Hmmm. I think I need to go for a walk. :))

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

The trillium in my front garden is just starting to open. I loved the photo. It was a perfect specimen. V

Amy said...

wow love these colors! :)

Laura said...

beautiful and so informative too!