Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Garden Tale

The garden has stuffed from the hot temperatures and lack of rain this summer. The daylilies are finished and the Echineaca are the only flower still putting a beautiful display right now. They have butterflies visiting everyday. The phlox are just starting to flower along with the Rudbeckia.






There is not back lawn, it looks as though a farmer arrived and disked it one night.
 The farmers were skunks and they were looking for white grubs.

I had raked 4 large wheelbarrows of dead sod off the area and then decided to call a lawn
care company to come and look after the rest. The white grubs have all been eaten, I hope, 
as the skunks have not been back for a few nights.
No point worrying about the lawn, I am just going to enjoy the beauty that is still blooming.
Winter will blow in soon enough and all will be gone until next season.

I am sorry for the erratic posting these last months, I have found the last 18 months
a roller coaster ride of emotion. My Dads' death, a wedding to organize and the birth of my first grandchild.  So for the month of August I am going to participate in 
The August Break, just showing a photo everyday, once a week or whatever.
Words can be added or not, there are no rules.
I am taking my Artist child out to play this month with no pressure.

Thank you for visiting and please come again.
Take care and enjoy!!!

6 comments:

Denise said...

I am so sorry to learn of your Dad's passing. I look at your beautiful butterfly photos and think of new beginnings, with the arrival of your darling grandbaby. I can certainly understand your roller coaster of emotions. And then the skunks arrived and caused all that mess in your garden. I learned something new today, never would have known that they could do that much damage to a garden lawn.

Pondside said...

Enjoy your break - you've had quite a year!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Love the flower pictures. I didn't know that skunks could do so much damage.

Becca said...

Wow! Such lovely photos of the butterfly, and I've always loved the Rudbeckia...it always made me think of my nickname, "Becky" :-)
Wishing you peace and many blessings Jen!
Take care...

Jeanne said...

Hope this coming time will be less of a roller coaster. So hard losing a parent, especially in the middle of so much else going on. Peace to you! I have been there too!

Beth said...

Wow, those skunks did a lot of damage. Hopefully they got all those nasty grubs so you don't have to deal with them. I don't know about where you live, but in the midwest U.S. grubs mean two things: 1) they are immature Japanese beetles, and the J.B. cause LOTS of problems; and 2) Moles like to eat grubs, and they make a mess of the lawn. Your echinacea are pretty though. Mine are drying up - they're tired and done for the summer (earlier than usual due to heat and drought).