Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Gaillardia

The brightly coloured daisy flowers of Gaillardia grandiflora, Blanket Flower, are a long blooming choice for hot, dry areas. They are very drought tolerant, do well in containers and make excellent cut flowers.  Cutting them back hard in early September, forces new leaf growth and prevents the plants from blooming to death.



They bloom from June to September in well drained soil. Their spread is 30 cm (12") and are a wonderful choice for borders and meadows. 

Gaillardia grandiflora are hardy from Zones 2 - 9 in full sun.   A work horse in my dry, sandy garden. Give them a try in your garden.














































3 comments:

Lisa Gordon said...

What a beauty, Jen!
I really love the color.
I could use some of these here this summer, as we are having a very, very dry one.

Happy day to you, my friend!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful capture of a very pretty flower.

ann said...

One of my favorites.