Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Frosty Morning

Yesterday a light, steady rain fell for most of the day, but the temperature never reached higher then 4 degrees Celsius so I spent most of day indoors, today arrived full of sunshine but Jack Frost had made an overnight visit.



As you can see my Helleborus orientalis is covered in frost.  It will be a few more days before I can enjoy its' nodding rose flowers. Helleborus orientalis or Lenten Rose, forms a tough clump of leathery, evergreen leaves. The flower stalks appear in early spring and the flowers come in shades of white, cream, pink, rose, red or marron.  It is excellent under trees or shrubs growing 40 - 60 cm tall and it likes well drained loamy soil. Many gardeners consider this cultivar the easiest to grow and I agree as I have it on the north side of the house.

The temperature this afternoon climbed to 20 degrees Celsius on the deck in the sun, so I put the pond pump running in the hopes of clearing the pea soup water.  I know it seems early but time will tell if my experiment works. 

I am hopeful tomorrow is also sunny and warm, Spring is certainly being fickle this year.


2 comments:

Stine in Ontario said...

The frost is lovely on the lenten rose. I can hardly wait to see them bloom!

Carolina Mountains said...

Our Lenten Roses are up and blooming - soon yours wil be too. Lovely photo of the frost!