Thursday, April 22, 2010

Native Plant Profile - Prairie Smoke

Prairie Smoke (Geum triflorum) is native to open woods, meadows or plains. It does wonderful along the edge of my woodland garden or in my sunny garden.


As you can see the leaves grow from the base of the plant and are approximately 9" long and fernlike.   In fact they remind me of dandelion leaves.

The flowers bloom from late April into June and look a bit like rosehips, they are followed by masses of 2" long pink, wispy, plume-like seed tails. 
Prairie Smoke prefers average, well-drained soil and dry to average moisture, in full sun to partial shade  making it an excellent choice  for my sandy soil. It is hardy from Zone 3 to 9 and can be propagated in fall from seed sown where the plants are grown or by division in late summer.  But it is not fussy as I have dug  babies in the spring and transplanted them to another location with no problem. You should consider adding this wonderful spring flowering plant to your garden.

7 comments:

Pondside said...

What a strange and beautiful flower. I don't think I've ever seen one before. We are now able (with the dawn of The Deer Fence!) to collect plants that we'd never before have tried. I'll have to see if this is available out here.

. . . Lisa and Robb . . . said...

What a beauty! I'm unfamiliar with this prairie flower.

GrammyMouseTails said...

I have just discovered your lovely & teaching (to me) blog! I am a amateur gardener & photographer, too! I am learning so much from your blog already! I have posting a WW with a mystery plant game, I have a feeling you would win every time! no prizes, but the glory;)
I am going to follow so won't miss a thing. Faythe @GrammyMousetails

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I had a bloom on my Prairie Smoke the other day but it disappeared. Hope it gets another. The plants I have down in the prairie garden have not bloomed yet. Too cool yet for them. Yours were lovely. V

Bernie said...

It's a new and unusual plant to me ... and quite beautiful. Lovely shots.

Glennis said...

This very pretty.

Sprouts, Shoots, & Sunshine said...

What a cute little plant! Looks like it has a great habit.