Monday, April 26, 2010

Native Plant Profile - Wood Poppy

The Wood Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum) is just starting to bloom in my large woodland garden.  Its' yellow blooms light up my shade garden and it is hardy from Zone 3 to 10.


The flower is only partially open in this picture.



The flowers face upward when in full bloom, have four large petals and masses of stamens in the center.  The leaves are large, deeply divided into lobed segments and grow from the base of the plant.

It will grow to a height of 1 1/2 feet tall in partial shade in a rich neutral  to slightly acid soil. During periods of drought, the leaves may wither or turn yellow so mulching will help to retain moisture.  The wood poppy readily self seeds, so you will have seedlings for transplant if you wish.

Although it is sometimes called celandine poppy, don't confuse it with the non-native and invasive celandine (Chelidonium majus), which looks very similar but behaves much more aggressively.

It will look wonderful combined with wild phlox (Phlox divaricata), white trillium (Trillium grandiflorum), twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla) or false Solomon's seal (Simlacina racemosa).
Consider it for your shade garden.



11 comments:

Crafty Gardener said...

that looks like a lovely addition to my new shade garden, I'll be on the lookout for it

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

How pretty. Such a cheerful looking poppy with the bright yellow against the green. Glad to hear it is a shade plant because I am always looking for new additions to my shady beds and woodland bed.

Pondside said...

I'll make note for my weekend trip to the nursery. We have plenty of shade here!

Mary Lou said...

Very pretty...

Shevvy said...

Thats a beautiful flower, I too have lots of yellow blooms in my garden - all dandelions though!

EG Wow said...

It's such a pretty flower! I have the wild, invasive ones in my gardens. Very pretty but pains in the neck. They were NOT invited and get ousted every time I weed. :)

Rosie leavesnbloom Scotland said...

oh its lovely - it reminds me of a yellow one we grow here called the Welsh Poppy.

RainGardener said...

Very pretty. I need to watch for that - it will really brighten up a shade garden.

Carolyn said...

It would look very pretty in a woodland garden.I love your photos.

Carolyn

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I am just starting a small woodland garden, I will look out for this.

jodi (bloomingwriter) said...

I saw a large group of these on the grounds of the Governor General's Rideau Hall home in Ottawa when I was there in the spring of 2006. Was completely smitten with them but have yet to find them for sale around here.