Thursday, April 1, 2010

What's Happening In My Brown Garden

I started the day with the intention to clean house, the family will be here for Easter and the dust bunnies must be rounded up.  But everytime I came into the kitchen a bird would be out in the yard and I would spend valuable time trying to capture it.

Today the Song Sparrow stood still long enough for me to finially snap its' picture.


The goldfinches would sit in the lilac outside the kitchen window, drop to the garden below and rumage for nesting material. As you can see they are changing to their bright summer plumage.



Around lunch the bird activity slowed and I gave up chasing dust bunnies and went outside to the garden. The Eranthis hyemalis (Winter aconite) are blooming.




This clump forming tuber bears stalkless, cup shaped, yellow flowers that are 2 - 2.5 cm (3/4 - 1 in.) across from late winter to early spring.  A dissected, leaf like bract forms a ruff beneath each bloom.  It will grow in part sun and prefers well drained soil.  It is a toxic plant, so pets and children should be watched if you have it growing in your garden.

9 comments:

Laura..DancesWithTeddyBears said...

Really great photos! Chasing birds with your camera seems much more fun than chasing dust bunnies.
Have a Wonderful Easter!

Edith Hope said...

Dear AGOT, I have so enjoyed your posting and was particularly attracted to your wonderful images of the birds. It is so good to encourage all forms of wildlife into the garden and is, after all, much more interesting than doing the dusting.

In one of my recent postings I wrote on Aconites and the Aconite parties given at Wyck Place by Lady Charlotte Bonham Carter. Perhaps you could set up a new trend in Ontario?

I have added myself as a 'Follower' in order to know of your future postings. A very Happy Easter.

keewee said...

I love to watch the birds as they go about collecting materials to build their nests, then watch, as they fly off, to see if I can spot where they build their nest.

RainGardener said...

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me and the Hummingbirds. Now your pictures are beautiful and I know I have a lot more playing to do with that camera! Sounds like you've got great places right close by the window for the birds to land. That's what I'm trying to do and planted a Crabapple tree off of the deck with a bird feeder close by and their favorite birdbath too. On the other side of the deck I did the same thing minus the bath.
Oh and ya know what? The dust will wait and the birds won't so I think you have your priorities very much in the right order. ;-)

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Beautiful photos of the birds, and a lovely picture of the winter aconite too. I see you're also a certified wildlife habitat, as are we. Welcome to Blotanical!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I love all of your bird pictures! I know the feeling of being too distracted by the birds to get much work done.

I'm adding you to my Blogger Follow list!

All things nice... said...

Amazing photographs, love the wee birds, they are so pretty up close like. Your garden looks like it is full of wildlife. Keep up the good photography

All things nice...

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Nice shots, song sparrows have such a beautiful song.

Urban Dirt Girl said...

Beautiful photographs, just beautiful.