Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wild flowers in the Garden

In early spring you will find me sitting on the contemplation bench in my large woodland garden.  Here I sit and watch the trees and birds. Today the hepatica was in bloom, it is a good plant for the dry woodland. It prefers neutral soil, full of organic matter in semishade.  The clumps can be divided or started from seeds, which ripen in late spring and require cold moist stratification.


Hepatica




Bloodroot


The bloodroot is also in bloom but they don't last long and are easily de-petalled by wind.  The leaves will clasp the stem and slowly unfurl to reveal large saucer shaped but deeply scalloped leaves.  During mid summer dry periods it will start to yellow and can go dormant, so mulching will help conserve moisture.  The seeds of Bloodroot are dispersed by ants, so I have a few new clumps every year. They do all the work of transplanting for me. How nice is that.





13 comments:

Bernie said...

This is a gorgeous thing ... I really love white blooms and this is a new one for me.

What a great effort by the ants in spreading your Bloodroot ... fantastic garden helpers.

Sylvana said...

I have both of these plants. My bloodroot is not spreading as well as I had hoped (I got it from my grandma's garden. Maybe a little honey to attract ants :)
Our hepatic in this area is pink, blue, or purple. I have not seen the white hepatica here. The white seems bigger than ours too.

Edith Hope said...

Dear Jennifer, Two of my absolute favourite spring flowers which, in my view, deserve to be more widely grown. They are delightful, and your images do them complete justice. This posting has made my day!!

Laura..DancesWithTeddyBears said...

Oh how gorgeous! As is your description of quiet observation.
Life can be so beautiful.
Hugs,
Laura

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I do have some bloodroot, from my fathers woodland, but I need some hepatica, love the small flowers.

jenana said...

Oh they're just beautiful! I think I will add it to my list of flowers to add to my garden. Thank you for sharing!!

Naturegirl said...

These early bloomers are quite lovely and I will surely tell my friend about the hepatica as she too has a woodland garden!Happy Spring gardening to you!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Beautiful wildflowers! Happy week!...Debbie

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Lovely woodland plants. Valerie

julieQ said...

So pretty! The flowers with the yellow stamens just are so bright and lovely.

Amy said...

Very pretty! I have never seen that one before...:)

Urban Dirt Girl said...

What pretty flowers, thank you for sharing them with me. now I need to find some room to put them. UDG

donna said...

I'm drooling over your bloodroot. So interesting to me how the plants unfurl. Do you think your ants would be kind enough to transport some of the seeds to my garden?

donna