Friday, May 14, 2010

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day - May 2010

It has been an unusual spring with a very warm dry April, a cool rainy May and snow for Mother's Day.
 But my garden has come through without one complaint.  



I still have some lovely tulips in full bloom.



Dicentra spectabilis (Old-fashioned Bleedingheart) is a favorite with the familiar drooping ladies dancing along the stems.  The white form 'Alba' is a refreshing change from the pink, I have both the white and pink growing together and they look especially nice together.



I do not know the name of this Iris as I found it overgrown in a corner of the property when we first moved in many years ago.  I rescued a few rhizomes, replanted them and the following year this dainty, blue iris bloomed.  They have a heavenly scent.

 

The Native Chokecherry has been in flower for a week, but today was the first day with sun and it was very busy with bees, wasps, flies and five Red Admiral butterflies this morning.

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens, you must stop by to see what other gardeners have blooming in their gardens.

15 comments:

Pondside said...

Lovely images.
When I was a child we would pick chokecherries every summer at The Pinery Provincial Park near Grand Bend, on Lake Huron. Our mother would make chokecherry wine for her bridge nights. We'd talk and fill our pails - happy memories.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Beautiful blooms in your garden. Have a great weekend. Valerie

Ruth@VS said...

Gorgeous flowers, you reminded me I really must get a Bleeding Heart!

Heather said...

Hello another Canadian gardener - your blooms look lovely and your photographs are fantastic!

Snap said...

Gorgeous and I can smell the iris from here! :D

Rose said...

Beautiful photos! The tulip is lovely; our warm April kept mine from staying around as long as I would have liked. The chokeberry sounds like a great plant to have if it attracts that many butterflies at once. Happy Bloom Day!

Lavender Cottage said...

You take the nicest photos Jen. I often wonder if you're laying on the ground to get some because I know you do it, I've seen you down and dirty! (or balancing on rocks in a stream for that matter)
I can't believe you had 5 red admirals at once - how exciting.
Judith

Gale said...

Beautiful! Love the picture of the white bleeding hearts the most! So lovely!

Crafty Gardener said...

You have a gorgeous white bleeding heart. I'm hoping the little slip of a plant I have this year produces some blooms next year. Great capture of the red admiral on the chokecherry.

Ms. Wis./Each Little World said...

I think I might have the same iris. LIke yours, they were here when we moved in and are wonderfully fragrant — a bit like grape soda.

Susie said...

Gorgeous!!

Sarah Laurence said...

I am envious of your gorgeous tulips. The squirrels devour them in our yard. The butterfly photo is magical. It’s so nice to connect with you!

benchwarmer said...

what beautiful flowers you have and such fantastic photography. happy bloom day.

Kate said...

Your garden is filled with some very pretty color! Those dainty bleeding hearts are quite stunning in white (I grow the pink variety) and that tulip - oooohh just lovely. Happy Bloom Day!!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Those are some of my favorite spring blooms. I saw my first butterfly other than a cabbage white today. It flew off before I had a chance to go in to get my camera.

Great photos!

I love your mosaic in honor of your son's engagement. Congratulations to them!