Sunday, May 2, 2010

May Blooms

Hello Everyone,

I will be away at a conference in our nations' capital, Ottawa, so I am taking a small blogging break. 
I will leave you with some pictures of whats blooming in my garden.


Magnolia 'Susan' is in full bloom with her large purple-red flowers.



Bergenia cordifolia is in full bloom and the bumblebees are always visiting.



A smaller version of Bergenia called 'Baby Doll' has smaller leaves and small white flowers.
Both are hardy from Zone 2-9, are evergreen in most climates and the leaves take on a rich bronzy-red tone throughout the fall and winter.  They are tolerant of a wide range of soils and conditions, including dry shade. Which make them perfect for my shady and sandy conditions.



 Pinus strobus (White Pine), P. mugo (Mugo Pine), P. sylvestris (Scotch Pine) and P. banksiana (Jack Pine) are growing in my garden and they are starting this years new growth.  In a couple of weeks clouds of yellow pollen will be seen blowing from the trees.



I bought these tulips for the Ontario Horticultural Associations' 100th Anniversary 5 years ago and they still look great, even being crowded by the 'John Cabot' Explorer Rose.

I wish all of you a wonderful week.
Take care.

16 comments:

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

You have fantastic flowers in your garden. Beautifully shot.

Darryl and Ruth : )

siromade08 said...

I love your garden surrounded by pretty flowers, it would be nice to wake up have a walk and smell the fragrance of the flowers. You've beautiful captures. Till we hear from you when you come back. Takecare.

Snap said...

Enjoy the conference. Beautiful garden!

Dave said...

These are brilliant shots, the third photo is my favourite, I can almost feel the softness.

Pondside said...

Have a great time in Ottawa! The tulips should be putting on a show for you!

eileeninmd said...

WOW, you have lovely blooms! Have a safe trips!

Diana said...

I just came upon your blog and happy to have done so. Beautiful photos and blossoms of the magnolia and bergenia

Jenn Jilks said...

I love your photos. Thank you for visiting My Muskoka , visit that page to check out the flies!!

Abraham Lincoln said...

I bet your weather up there is nicer than it is down here.

GrammyMouseTails said...

I love how color coordinated they are, ect for the mugo of course (glad I won't have to endure it's pollen!)! all beauties I would love to have in my wild yard . Have a safe & fun trip!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Have a wonderful time in Ottawa.

Lavender Cottage said...

Nice tour of your garden Jen.

Manuela said...

I'm from Windsor!

Love your pictures and wish I could be in Ottawa--one of my favourite cities :)

Kerri said...

Your flowrs are lovely!!

Mumsy said...

Wow...you have absolutely gorgeous flowers in your garden. I'm envy!

Diane said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Your blog is wonderful. I will be back to spend some more time here. Diane