Monday, May 10, 2010

Native Plant Profile

Phlox stolonifera (Creeping Phlox)




Creeping phlox is a very hardy and attractive groundcover to use under large shade trees, I use it under Acer platanoides (Norway Maple).  It is very showy when in bloom, particularly when planted in masses. Clusters of blue flowers carpet the ground in early May with a height of 10 to 12 inches (25-30 cm).  It ranges from Quebec south to Georgia and Alabama.

It spreads by rhizomes and will fill a large area in humus-rich, slightly acidic to neutral soil, in partial shade to full shade with moist to average conditions. But, I have sandy soil and it is doing just fine.  Divide the clumps in spring or fall.

Creeping phlox looks fantastic with Foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia) and Christmas Fern (Polystchum acrostichoides).


7 comments:

Pondside said...

I love that colour! I'm collecting ideas for ground cover now that deer are no longer a problem - will look at this one in the garden centre.

julieQ said...

And...it is pretty!! Thank you for the lovely pictures, good morning to you!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I always love that plant under your trees in the spring. Such a beautiful colour. Valerie

benchwarmer said...

i love those flowers. mine are a lite pink. purples are have been hard for me to find here. yours are beautiful!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

It has such pretty, dainty flowers. Beautiful closeup.

Bernie said...

This is so lovely ... my favourite colour! I can just imagine how gorgeous it would look in a mass planting!

Ann said...

I love it. So beautiful.

Does it dry out in winter?