Thursday, June 3, 2010

Plant Profile - Orientale Poppies

 'Royal Wedding'


Most species of poppies are short-lived perennials or annuals that happily self-seed in any sunny border, the exception to this is the longer lived Papaver orientale (Oriental Poppy). The Oriental Poppies are blooming in my garden and have large clumps of coarse, hairy foliage, with enormous satiny flowers in late spring.  They are nice in the garden, but will go completely dormant after flowering, therefore you need to plant something nearby that gets bushy in the summer to fill in the gap.




There are several good seed strains available in shades of orange, salmon, and red with a dark zone or eye in the middle of the flower.  Many named hybrids also exist, these are propagated from root cuttings and include both single and double flowering forms in shades of orange, pink, white and deep red.
They will somethings come bicolored or with exotically fringed petals.

Good drainage is crucial for the poppy particularly where winters are wet and all species prefer lighter soils and a warm, sunny location. These requirements make them an excellent addition to my garden.

12 comments:

Pagan Sphinx said...

Oh, what a marvel these shots of the poppies are!

I have always longed to grow them but they don't seem to like our soil, no matter what we do!

paula, the quilter said...

I stumbled upon a pink one the other day that was growing in someone's hell strip -- you know that strip of ground between the sidewalk and the street that is so hot it is like hell. The poppy was beautiful.

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Beautiful shots. Great flower.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Piecefulafternoon said...

Simply lovely - I had some orange ones at the house we used to live in - I left them there so the next people would have a nice start on their garden - and they dug them up and threw them out - I should have brought the poppies and the two rose bushes with me.

Mary Lou said...

Oh wow Jen. I just took some photos in Colonial Williamsburg that my husband said was some type of poppy and I think it is this!!!
I'm so glad I visited you!! as always.

Pondside said...

That Royal Wedding is lovely - we only have the bright red Icelandic poppies and I'd like some white and pink - perhaps some ruffled poppies....so much choice!

webruci said...

Oh yes! i love Poppys, the only problem is the short blooming time, I'm sore you going to find something for Summer:)

Ellada said...

Hello,
Fantastic colors and so beautiful.

dogsmom said...

The only poppies I have seen locally are red. This is really different.

Diane said...

Your poppies are beautiful! When they are finished blooming and go dormant, do you cut back what's left? I have the pink and reddish-orange ones this year, for the first year.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Diane

Icy BC said...

Oh I'm falling in love with this type of poppies. They are so exotic looking and beautiful. I'm going to look for seeds..

maría cecilia said...

Hola, your poppies are great, so lovely!! Has been a pleasure meeting you and your so wonderful garden.
Greetings from Chile,
Maria Cecilia