Thursday, July 29, 2010

Friday's Favorite - Mount Stewart, Northern Ireland

For Friday's Favorite I am going to take you on a tour of Mount Stewart, one of the gardens hubby and I visited while on our trip to Northern Ireland. Mount Stewart is one of the most unique and unusal gardens of the National Trust's ownership. It was the home of the Vane-Tempest-Stewart family, Marquesses of Londonderry.


The garden reflects a rich taperstry of design and great planting artisitry that was the hallmark of Edith, Lady Londonderry.  The mild climate of Strangford Lough allows astonishing levels of planting experimentation.



The formal areas exude a strong Mediterranean feel and resemble an Italian villa landscape and the wooded areas support a range of plants from all corners of the world, ensuring something to see whatever the season.



The outdoor 'rooms' and parterres contain many rare plants that thrive in the mild climate of the Ards Peninsula.





Please join Claudia at Dipity Road to see where others are finding beauty.

I wish everyone a wonderful weekend.

19 comments:

Lavender Cottage said...

Nice photos Jen. I love the reflecting pools.
Judith

Naturegirl said...

Stunning views of this garden! What a treat to walk through your images!That perfectly manicure hedge wall!!WOW!!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Such a beautiful place to visit! The gardens are beautiful and must have been spectaular to actually be there to see them. Thank you for sharing with us. Very nice photos. Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

keewee said...

Thank you for the tour of this beautiful place. I always dreamed of living in such a grand place.

Piecefulafternoon said...

A beautiful tour - thank you. I like your header!!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's just so beautiful there. I can just imagine walking around and seeing it all in person. I loved the tour.

Pondside said...

What a beautiful place - I enjoy posts about far-off travels.

Edith Hope said...

Dear Jennifer, Mount Stewart is a garden I have long wished to visit. Your words and pictures have persuaded me to do something about this as soon as is possible. The formal structures, combined with interesting and unusual plants, appeal to me greatly and, very clearly, the gardens provide a perfect foil to the house.

I do hope that you too have a happy and peaceful weekend.

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Hey Jen..
What a wonderful place to visit.

I can almost hear the peace and quiet. Like a whisper?

Great shots... thanks for sharing your beauty and adventure.

Always enjoy stopping by!

Hugs
Claudia

My Crafty Little Page said...

What a beautiful garden tour here today! Thanks for sharing. xoxo Nancy

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

That looks like a lovely place to visit. Very formal isn't it.

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Thanks for the tour, it's absolutely beautiful! Love that fountain. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Food for Thouhgt

Crafty Gardener said...

How lovely it would be to wander around that garden. Enjoy the weekend.

Jennifer said...

What a nice classic garden. Have a great long weekend.

Olga said...

That place is gorgeous. I'm going to write down its name in my notebook. Who knows, perhaps some day I will be able to visit it. For the present, thank you so much for taking me on the photo tour of the place. The pictures are fantastic.

Angel said...

What a Beautiful place, how lucky you are to be able to go there. Thanks ever so much for Sharing ~ Just Lovely ~

just me jan said...

Jen...
Thanks for a trip down memory lane. Just a couple years ago my husband and I took our sons on vacation to Ireland...Mount Stewart was on our stop. We spent several hours there in the gardens and the house. I suspect no matter what time of year one visits, these gardens are a sight not to be missed!
just me...sayin' thanks for the memories...jan

Georgianna said...

What an amazing place, Jen. I really love those round pools. Thanks for sharing!

Icy BC said...

This is such a wonderful place, and your gorgeous pictures gave me a fantastic tour..