Thursday, July 1, 2010

Friday's Finding Beauty - The Walled Garden of Glenarm Castle

Please come with me for a tour of The Walled Garden on the grounds of Glenarm Castle. It is one of Ireland's oldest walled gardens dating from the 18th century.  Originally created to supply the castle with its' fruit and vegetables, The Walled Garden is now filled with exciting flowers and specimen plants.  In recent years, under the stewardship of head gardener, Nigel Marshall, The Walled Garden has undergone extensive restoration and improvements including new water features and in 2007 a new Mount was designed by Catherine Fitzgerald. 
It is home to the McDonnell family, Earls of Antrim, since the early 17th century, the castle is currently the home of Randal, Viscount Dunluce and his wife Aurora.



Step through the stone arch entrance.



And this is the view you see.


Turn left and wonder down the allee between the trees and garden.



Or turn right, listen to the bees in the hyssop hedge as you wonder pass the greenhouse.



And stop in awe at the sight of the garden beyond the greenhouse.



Climb the new mount to see an ariel view of some restoration work.



 Along the far wall of the garden is another magnificent garden.

'In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.
My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.
The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers,
and the dreams as beautiful.'
~Abram L. Urban~

Join Claudia at Dipity Road, to see how other bloggers find beauty.







23 comments:

julieQ said...

Wow! How gorgeous, at every turn. Everywhere is so lush and green, and the flowers!

Bella said...

Oh.. hands down, this is fantastic!!! I would never leave, just stunning!! Lucky lucky you:-)
Bella

Claudia@DipityRoad said...

Oh darlin -- how cool is this walk you have taken us on.

Thanks so much for joining in with us. I appreciate your work :)

Happy Fourth GF.

Claudia

Piecefulafternoon said...

Absolutely stunning - it is as if I were there. Wonderful.

Lavender Cottage said...

Fabulous gardens.
Judith

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Good Morning Sweetie...
What a beautiful tour we have had today. I could feel the green grass beneath my feet as we walked, and walking through the arch made me feel like royalty. How absolutely exquisite these gardens are.

My hat goes off to the gardener, as I know from my small gardens how much work is involved. I can't even imagine the work that goes into this magnificant wonder. How green and plush.

The boxed hedges and all of the beautiful colors combined are truly fit for a king. Thank you for sharing with me today.

I am Country Wings, your newest folower and I can't wait to see what you share next.

Happy 4th of July, and a wonderful Friday Finding Beauty showing.

Country hugs...Sherry

Sheila said...

Oh to be in Ireland...what beautiful gardens! I'm looking forward to travelling with you - wherever you went...Thanks for sharing your trip!

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

What an enchanting place to visit! thank you for taking us along with you on your tour!!

skoots1mom said...

Gardener marshall has OUTDONE himself! gorgeous, for sure.

Angel said...

Oh Sweetie!! How breathtakingly Beautiful!! What a Wonderful & Delightful post :)Thanks for sharing.
Enjoy your 4th of July ~

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Gorgeous gorgeous photos. Everything is so pristine and well manicured isn't it. The views are breathtaking.

Kiki said...

What a wonderfully magical post! Gorgeous! thanks for sharing such magnificent beauty !
Kiki~

Mona said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog!!!
I love your flowers!!! I have a ting for water drops on flowers, come to think of it, I have a thing for waterdrops.
Hugs,
Mona

LDH said...

It isn't hard to find beauty here ~ it is everywhere. Gorgeous manicured trees and lawns with flowers everywhere! So lovely. Thanks much for sharing this Garden of Glenarm Castle!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

OMG! Oh how beautiful. I would love to see that.I simply love that hyssop hedge. Gorgeous! You are so lucky to have visited it. Thanks for sharing the beauty.

Porch Days said...

Why are the gardens at this type of place always walled? Is it to keep people out?

Olga said...

Oh, this place is fantastic. Those gardens are amazing. The pictures are really nice; such vivid colors. Just wonderful!

Mary Lou said...

Jen, When I saw your photos I almost cried. Ireland really is as green as they say if it all looks even close to this. I think that may be the most beautiful garden I've ever seen. Thank you so much for showing it to me.
Nice to be with you.

Jay said...

That is gorgeous! I hope to come to Ireland some day, and when I do, I'll try to scedule a visit to this wonderful place.

Thanks for the tour!

Pondside said...

Just beautiful!
I think a walled garden would be just the thing for any Canadian garden - think of the warmth up against the walls!

Diane said...

Unbelieveable! That walled garden is just magnificant! Thanks so much for sharing these.

Bernideen said...

These photos are incredible - the walled gardens are amazing.

Oakdene said...

Nice blog...this has been a wonderful garden tour-thanks for sharing!

Plantscapes designs