Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Native Plant Profile

It has been awhile since I posted about the native plants in my garden, so I am going to tell you about a great workhorse for the garden. Helianthus divaricatus, Woodland Sunflower, is flowering in my large woodland garden. It belongs to the Asteraceae or Aster family, grows 2 to 4 feet tall and flowers until September.


The woodland sunflower is native to woodlands, savannah or rocky bluffs from Maine and Ontario to Manitoba, south to Florida, Louisiana and Nebraska.  They tolerate sun, part shade, shade and dry. How wonderful for my sandy conditions.



The leaves are rough on the upper surface, lanceolate or ovate-lanceolate in shape, tapering to a long point 3 to 8 inches long and 1/4 to 1/2" wide.  They can be divided in spring or autumn and attract birds to the garden. They make a wonderful addition to a dry shady area and look nice with Rudbeckia hirta (Black-eyed Susan) and Aster divaricatus (White Wood Aster).

17 comments:

Kiki said...

Super gorgeous..a true beauty!
Lovely post!
Kiki~

Sheila said...

These woodland sunflowers look so delicate. I loved your mosaic of daylilies. I have a few and only wish they didn't lose their blooms so quickly. Sunshine always - Sheila

Lavender Cottage said...

Such a nice and free flowing form of sunflower Jen.
I have my hand up for a piece if you divide it please. :-)
Judith

Pondside said...

I had a lovely clump of these from a neighbour when I lived in Ottawa. They were workhorses - colour in the back of the bed when everything else had disappeared.

Crafty Gardener said...

That is a very pretty flower. Yellow blooms are my favourit.

Kate said...

Oh, how pretty! Looks a lot like a tickseed coreopsis. I wonder if that's how my potted plants originated?

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

They are pretty. My brown eyed susans have been chewed twice to the ground this year. May not see them this year. LOL.

Rosey said...

I am doing the blog hop and seeing who else is on here.
What a fun and creative blog to find. I am happy that I got to be number 100 on your followers.
Rosey

Heather said...

Pretty wildflowers - I'll have to look for those!

Regina said...

hi,
pretty wildflowers and the daylillies
from the last post they are gorgeous
have a nice day,
regina

MWebster said...

They look like little dollops of sunshine. Beautiful!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Beautiful! I don't know if we have those here! Yellow flowers are so summery! Happy weekend!...Debbie

RainGardener said...

A very pretty little wildflower. We have some here I'd love to have like the wild sweet pea that is blooming now. I've tried 2 years to get some but it's always such a hot time of year it dies. O'well I'll just have to enjoy it along the roads. Had to go back and snoop at a couple of your posts I've missed and love your beautiful pink bouquet and your Daylilies are lovely.

Marydon said...

Have not seen these gorgeous beauties before. Lovely flower.

You may wish to enter our giveaway!
Have a lovely summer's eve.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Pat said...

Your photos of "life" is just breathtaking. Your quilts are beauriful. Thank you for sharing, my dear.
Happy Quilting!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It's so pretty! The flowers remind me some of a Coreopsis. I wish I could find such sunny looking flower to bloom in my dry shade.

eileeninmd said...

I love these pretty wildflowers. Great photos!