Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Scenic Views

It is very warm here, 40 degrees celsius with the humitiy and I have been indoors reading, quilting and blog hopping.  I thought I would take you on a trip up the Antrim Coast, some eighty miles of stunning coastline, to Dunluce Castle in Northern Ireland.


The route is sprinkled with historic castles, churches and forts. Many are now just ruins but each holds the memories of a mysterious and heroic past.




Fabulous unspoilt beaches.






Rugged and windswept cliffs.
It is a journey not to be hurried, as every twist and turn in the road will reveal new sights.



Our destination is Dunluce Castle, a dramatic ruin that stands on a black basalt stack, 30 meters high, projecting out from the North Antrim coast.


The roofless ruins are breaktaking and when built the main impression would
have been of great strength, a stronghold impossible to conquer before gunpowder.
Under the castle a sea cave could hide a boat for a quick escape to Rathlin Island or Scotland.



We stopped at a small village for tea and encountered this family
of swans on the river. 

 

Later in the evening our journey back to the cottage
 takes us through Ballymoney to view the The Dark Hedges.



The sun sets on another wonderful day.

18 comments:

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

How beautiful. If I could have a free vacation anywhere on earth it would be to Ireland and Scotland.Some of the long ago ancestors where from both places and I would love to visit. The Dark Hedges are so beautiful. Wow! I do not think I could handle that driving on the other side of the road though LOL! I would be dangerous. Gorgeous sunset. Thank you so much for sharing.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Gorgeous photos. I loved the trees over the road. I love old ruins. I amagine people scurrying to and fro through them in olden times.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Jen,
It is 28 with a humidex of 36 here on the Island right now. It's a warm one! What fabulous photos of a place my hubby and I dream of going. Love the photo of driving through those trees bending over the road! Just wonderful! Thank you for sharing and enjoy your evening.

Blessings,
Sandi

paula, the quilter said...

How lovely! Thanks for taking us along.

Laura~DancesWithTeddyBears said...

Wonderful photos! It's hot here, too. Your photos are so cooling and refreshing, and gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

Marydon said...

Oh, WOW! you are taking me back to our trip there. Awesome country, more greens than one can imagine & your inviting us along with you is so sweet ... TYSM.

Have a lovely summer's eve ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Mary Lou said...

I looked at your photos first on my blackberry and the screen was so small I knew I had to see them larger so this is my return visit and I was right. Really Really beautiful.

Sheila said...

Thanks for taking us on such a scenic journey along the coast. Your photos are beautiful. May the wind be always at your back...

Terra said...

My favorite photo is of the Dark Hedges. I imagine many artists have painted them.

quiltmom said...

The Hedges road is absolutely gorgeous- we had always hoped to go to Ireland but somehow have never got there. I have been to Scotland twice- a really pretty place- I loved Edinburgh especially when you come out from the train station and see the castle rise above it.

My husband grew up in Newfoundland and some of the pictures of the rock are similar to the regions Ireland.
Happy traveling- thanks for sharing your journey.
Regards,
Anna

Pondside said...

Wouldn't I love to visit those places! The trees on the road, the ruins, the colours of water, sky and landscape seem to be embedded in the body's memory.

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

It was lovely to get out of the heat and take this tour with you, so beautiful.

Piecefulafternoon said...

I am awed by the scenery and the photos. I would love to visit all those castles and ruins - so wonderfully mysterious - and the Dark Hedges - oh my - what a feeling that must be. Thanks for sharing!!!

Lavender Cottage said...

Oh boy Jen. I want to go to Ireland more than ever now after seeing your photos - great shots by the way.
Stay cool.
Judith

Bonnie said...

Beautiful pictures. I have recently made the decision to finally plan my trip to Scotland, instead of just saying "some day." But, that's as far as I've gotten, just making the decision to go next year. I'm not sure where to start or if I should go through a travel agent. I need to look into it more. It's hot here, too. 90 degrees F.

Gail said...

Breath taking, is all I can say. I want to see more. I am becoming a follower.
Hugs
Gail

ksdoolittle said...

I definitely NEED to go there!! ~karen

Rosey said...

Very adorable gosling. No ugly duckling in my eyes.