Saturday, August 7, 2010

Lazy Day

It has been one of those lazy days of summer, the weather was perfect. A light breeze and the temperatures in the mid twenties. So, I went to sit on the stairs leading from the deck to the garden to watch the birds. I am really waiting for the hummingbird to come to the feeder so I can get some pictures.

I have three watering cans sitting on each step full of water, you can just grab one and go. But they have become the watering hole for the chickadees, nuthaches, finches, squirrels and chipmunks. I often wonder why, as I have a pond and four birdbaths.

But as I sit on the steps a baby chickadee keeps landing on the sprinkler and looking at me, as if to say I need a drink.


I move down one step and it hops over to the watering can to get a drink.



I take several shots, but the noise of the camera causes it look over the handle to see what I am doing.



Everything is Ok and a few sips later off it goes.



The hummingbird feeder is very busy, but not with hummingbirds,
the goldfinches and chickadees also drink from the ant moat.



The female hummingbird arrives for a drink of nectar and I get to take my pictures.
What a wonderful way to spend a summer afternoon.

17 comments:

Bella said...

Hi... Your photos are amazing! A day very well spent:-) I have never seen chickadees and goldfinch drink nectar!
Bella

canuckquilter said...

Your bird photos are wonderful!

Piecefulafternoon said...

What a wonderful adventure with the birds - the photos are amazing. Since I got a new camera it doesn't make any noise, either when it "clicks" to take the picture or when the lens zooms - my old one used to - and I love this feature in my new one. Now to get some birds to come close to me.

Sheila said...

These pictures are fabulous! I enjoyed seeing the birds close up. Your baby quilt will be so appreciated and will make a wonderful cozy quilt for a small child as well. Sunshine Always - Sheila

Georgianna said...

Ahhh, definitely a wonderful way to spend a summer afternoon! Marvelous photos of the baby chickadee – I know how tiny they really are!

Crafty Gardener said...

Amazing bird photos today. Birdwatching is the perfect way to spend an afternoon.

Rebecca said...

Wonderful close ups of the birds-facinating! Happy PS on my first PS!!!

Pondside said...

Beautiful bird, beautiful photos. I alway feel as though I've been given a very special gift when I get that close to a bird -especially our humming birds. It sounds like you had a perfect afternoon.

Lavender Cottage said...

The best way to get good photos of the birds is to sit and wait. Yours turned out well Jen.
Judith

Bonnie said...

Perfect summer day!!

GrammyMouseTails said...

spectacular bird photos! I love the wet chickadee! I have a gold finch that seems to like my hummy feeder too, but it is against a window and he has a hard time figuring out how to get to the sweetness. someone has been busy tho, as it has been going down very fast!
Faythe @GMT

Rettabug said...

Gosh, these photos are FANTASTIC! I am amazed & amused at the same time. cute shot of him looking back over the edge to see what you're up to.

I tried to capture a red tailed hawk in our back yard but as soon as I took one photo, he was off & all I captured was a blur!

fondly,
Rett

p.s. LOVE your baby quilt, especially the diagonal binding. I've recently done some "Cotton Theory" quilting. Will post about it soon!

Hocking Hills Gardener said...

Wow, your pictures are just so fantastic! Great images.

Meredehuit ♥ said...

Great pictures! I'm still waiting for the hummingbirds to find my feeder. They'are too interested in the blooms to take a sip from the feeder. Patience...

Sharon Lovejoy said...

OH GOODIE, I found you through Jodi and am so happy.
I love the bird photographs and your outlook on life.

So happy to sign on as a follower and to know that I won't lose your blog in this overloaded world.

All joys to you,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island (and as I type two hummingbirds are vying for the feeder)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Oh, what magical pictures! I love the shot of the hummingbird especially; he's darling! Thank you for sharing the photos of your feathered friends with us. It's been wonderful!

Blessings,
Sandi

Susan said...

What beautiful photography. Birds and Blooms would love shots like this. Have you ever sent any in? They are gorgeous and the little chickadee is adorable.

I hope you are having a very lovely week,
Susan