Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wildflower Wednesday

Today I thought we would start with a couple of native plants that grow in a prairie setting.



Liatris aspera, Rough Blazing Star, grows two to four feet tall and is blooming in the garden.
 It requires little maintenance thriving in dry soil and full sun.



Rudbeckia laciniata, Green-headed Coneflower can grow three to six feet tall
 in sandy soil and in full sun to part shade.
It is over seven feet tall in my backyard and is visited by butterflies, bumblebees and birds. 



I thought we would head into the woodland garden and see what has changed.
 We are standing under one of the many Ash trees growing in this area.



 Maianthemum canadense, Canada mayflower, has developed berries. It makes a great groundcover plant for the woodland, growing only 2 to 4 inches tall. Loved by the chipmunks.



Maianthemum racemosum, False Solomon's Seal, has also developed small berries.



Actaea rubra, Red Baneberry, is a volunteer I received two years ago from a bird, chipmunk or squirrel. 
It grows 24 to 32 inches tall with creamy white clusters of flowers in the spring. 
 It perfers moist soil conditions, but it is growing well in my dry woodland.

Today, I am linking with Clay and Limestone for Wildflower Wednesday.

Have a great day!





17 comments:

Carol at Serendipity said...

Jennifer,

Absolutely beautiful photographs. Thank you for the information, too.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Carol

Gail said...

Splendid photos~I have to own that I have never noticed how beautiful the berries of False Soloman Seals really are~Thank you for that and for joining the Wildflower celebration! gail

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Fabulous photos. Love the colourations in the berries.

Heather said...

Ok those first 2 pictures were beautiful! Nice blooms - have a wonderful day!

canuckquilter said...

Thank you fdor sharing your garden and useful information to help me plan additions to mine.

Becca said...

Hi, I'm Becca! It was your blog title that caught my attention, and it was just what I was hoping for! Lovely photography and quilting! I love to sew, but I am just a wannabe quilter, I also love to garden, but living in the desert makes it a challenge sometimes and photography has become quite an addiction for me lately. Hope you'll drop by for a visit sometime!

tina said...

The berries are beautiful! I bet all the wildlife loves them too.

podso said...

Wow, your images are stunning! Nice job!

joey said...

Happy Wildflower Wednesday :) Stunning photos!

Piecefulafternoon said...

Wonderful education - and great photos. Thanks for the tour.

lotusleaf said...

Beautiful photos. The rudbeckia is amazing.

Rose said...

Beautiful photos, and such a nice variety of wildflowers. It looks like fall is on its way with all the berries showing up in your garden already. Happy Wildflower Wednesday!

Mary Lou said...

Jen, Your photos are so beautiful. I love the mayflower one with one red berry. Thank you for visiting me and for sharing your beautiful self.

Pondside said...

I love to find the various berries on the plants around our place - with the deer fence we are noticing so many more. I guess the deer aren't eating the flowers, so we consequently have berries - lovely!

julieQ said...

I love your flowers photographs, so beautiful! Thank you sharing your talent.

garden girl said...

Beautiful blooms and berries! Three years after planting them, we're still looking forward to Solomon's seal's first bloom - maybe next year! we're looking forward to those pretty striped berries too.

DoanLegacy said...

Gorgeous collection of fabulous photos!