Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Native Plant Profile

Today I am introducing you to Solidago flexicaulis (Zig Zag Goldenrod) my favorite solidago for the garden. I garden in mostly dry shady conditions and this is a workhorse for the fall garden. A garden saver in dry shade. It gets its' name from the zig zag, angled stem, which is an interesting feature.  The flowers are a wonderful yellow color in the late summer woodland. 


Zig Zag goldenrod is not particularly needy with regard to nutrients and organic matter which is unusual for a woodland plant. It does not need mulching as it is very adaptable to dry conditions and will outcompete most weeds. It grows 1 to 3 feet tall in full shade to filtered light on average to dry soil conditions.



The leaves are 6 inches long, oval and toothed with flower heads blooming in loose clusters at the joints of crooked stems from late summer to fall. It is hardy from Zones 4 to 9. Zig Zag Goldenrods natural habitat is dry woods, thickets and clearnings from Ontario to Nova Scotia, south to Florida,
 west to Texas and Oklahoma and north to Wisconsin.
A must for fall color in a dry shady spot.

Thanks for visiting and have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

Pondside said...

I wonder how it would do in our Pacific Northwest climate? We certainly have a lot of dry shade - I'll look for it.

Ellada said...

Hello,
Thank you for sharing, it's a nice flowers.

tina said...

It looks wonderful. I have a lot of dry shade that is looking so sad now. This goldenrod is lovely. Anything that does well in the dry shade is a keeper. I'll have to look for it as I've never heard of it.

Lavender Cottage said...

I think I should add this goldenrod to my shade garden Jen, it looks very healthy in your garden.
Judith

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

This sounds like just what I need. I have quite a bit of dry shade that looks especially sparse right now. What a great plant, I love the leaf edges.

Autumn Belle said...

This ZigZag goldenrod is pretty and sweet. The goldenrods at The Secret Garden near my city attracts the cerceris wasps.

xinex said...

Those are very pretty! I am always attracted to yellow flowers....Christine