Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Journey Ends

But it started September 2008, when a mother stands in a cold hall to say goodbye to her son. He is going to Afghanistan for 8 months as a Combat Engineer with the Canadian Army. She gives him a big hug, while tears roll down her cheeks, not knowing if she will see him again.



Her monthly quilt group have a challenge to buy a fabric that can only be used as a border and the material in the blocks must compliment this border fabric. So stressed with worry, her choice is a steel grey with small blue flowers not her usual bright and cheerful colours.


Each month instructions are given to make blocks of varying sizes and styles. She finds this very difficult and cannot sew but the simplest of blocks.  The quote 'One Day at a Time' is her mantra and it is engraved on a pendant she wears around her neck.
Finally, peace is found when she learns to accept 'what was', 'what is' and not live in the 'what if'. 

May 2009 her son returns home and the quilt is finished and put away until... 


this fall, when it is taken to a long arm quilter and finished.



I have named this quilt 'Acceptance'... 
I have learned to accept what is, forgive and let go.
Tomorrow is Remember Day in Canada and I will take a minute of silence,
shed some tears again and remember 
all those who did not return. 



Thank you for visiting!!!







17 comments:

camp and cottage living said...

Your post is very touching. I have never had to watch any of my 3 sons go off to war. I can only imagine how hard it was for you. And yes, I can tell from the colors in your quilt that it was a solemn time for you. Thank God your son returned! And my heart, too, goes out to the loved ones of the many who did not.
Kimberly

Linda said...

That is probably the most touching blog I have read in some time...I am shedding a tear or two just reading it. Thanks to your son for his service.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Acceptance is such an important part of healing from whatever it is we are suffering. The quilt is gorgeous.

ann said...

God bless our troops here and in Canada. I cannot imagine sending one of my children away to fight. The quilt is so beautiful and will a treasured family heirloom. Your post is both brave and touching.

Bernie said...

I am fortunate that my son, who did serve in the Army as a medic, never had to go off to war. This was a very touching and moving post, and I rejoice in the welcome return of your son.

Birds, Bees, Berries, and Blooms said...

I too am crying. I am thankful your son is returned and pray for his acceptance of life after Afghanistan. My brother was not so lucky life on his return became a nightmare for our family. Please keep in contact with your son, his war may be over, but there still may be a battle inside. Thank him for his service from me. I have learned the hard way that freedom is not free and that service is not without sacrifice.

Sherri B. said...

This is a very touching post..I thank you and your son for his service to keep all safe and free in North America. Your Acceptance quilt is beautifully done and a precious piece. xo

quiltmom said...

War and those who serve for the greater good of our country are to be commended. As a mother of an only child, I can well imagine the many days and nights spent worrying about your son's safety.
The quilt is beautiful- a legacy to a challenging time for you all.
Thanks for sharing your story and quilt.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Marcie said...

Oh..this is absolutely beautiful. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I read this - for you..for your son..for all the men and women out there on the global 'fronts'.

Lona said...

What a beautiful and touching posting Jen. It must be a mother's worst fears to see a son go off to war.The quilt pieced through uncertain and fearful days has so much meaning now. It turned out so beautiful too. I am so glad that he came home. I thank him for his service.

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

Fitting post for today. V

Sheila said...

I need to let my tears dry but am crying with such great relief that your son is home and that you were able to complete this beautiful quilt while he was away. I will be so glad to hear that our soldiers are all home one day. Thank you for sharing such a personal and most touching story. Courageous Canadians are walking among us every day ...

Pondside said...

I heard on the news that this is the first year in ten that we have not had troops in combat. Of course, I still think of the young people over there, keeping the peace, and still in harm's way.
Such a touching post - thank you.

Rosie said...

This post is very touching and the quilt is so beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Rettabug said...

Such a beautiful description of a very trying time in your life, Jen & the end result of all that worry. The quilt turned out to be a very special memento & I can't imagine what those days were like for you.

I remember my Mother's worry filled days when my older brother was in Vietnam, but thankfully I have never had to experience such stress & hopefully, never will.

I hope you made a label to tell this story...it should be saved along with the quilt.

Hugs,
Rett

annie hoff said...

This was a very moving post. That must have been an extremely tough time for you. It is also a very beautiful quilt, such incredible work.

hannah said...

Very moving, and thank goodness, with a happy ending.
And a precious memento as well.