Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Has The Early Spring Been a Good Thing?

Meet Susan, a magnolia on my front lawn. She is a small tree, almost as wide as she is tall at this stage of her growth and belongs to the Little Girl Series of Magnolias.


Here she is in late May, with her beautiful pink flowers.



Which open to show a magnificent textured and coloured centre.


All winter a fuzzy coat protects the flower bud and when the weather starts to warm
in mid spring they start to open.


This year the buds started to open in March when our temperatures were in the mid teens or mid 70F.
But the night-time temperatures for the last week and a half have dropped below freezing 
and the flowers buds that should look like this...




do not. They are brown and shrivelled with frost damage.
I do not know if they will survive, but I hope the closed
flower buds will stay closed until the night-time temperatures stay above freezing.
It has been wonderful getting into the garden early, but I am finding
 a few casualties of the unusual mild winter and spring.

How is your garden with this unusual spring???
Take care and have a Blessed Easter!!







14 comments:

Pondside said...

On the west coast the unusual spring weather has been cold and rainy. I had to scrape the ice off the car today to go to work. We are way behind where we've been any other year.

Georgianna said...

Hi Jen,

Wonderful macro photos!

I always worry when it gets warm too early. We didn't have that problem this year. It's been a very gradual (SLOW) spring. Probably the first year I haven't been out in the middle of the night covering all the hydrangeas. :)

I love the Little Girl series of magnolias. Yours is so sweet – I hope the remaining buds open beautifully.

Happy Easter weekend to you, my friend.

xo

– g

Crafty Gardener said...

I hope that magnificent magnolia will bloom this year. So far things seem just fine in my garden as I didn't get any flower buds except daffodils and they are quite hardy. Have a wonderful weekend.

Becca said...

So pretty! I've never had a magnolia tree growing up in the desert. Maybe when I move to Seattle? We are having pretty nice weather. But we get so much wind! My bearded irises have bloomed and are all sideways from the strong wing gusts. I guess I should have staked them. Happy Easter to you too!

EG CameraGirl said...

Susan sure was a beauty last year. Hmmm. I'm thinking our winter and spring may cause tons of damage. Sure hope I'm wrong!

Nancy said...

We've had such warm weather that ours have flowered beautifully... Such a beautiful flower.....

These are great shots.....

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful images. Yes,those early warm temperatures can be misleading.

Carolyn said...

Even though we had a few warm days here it wasn't enough to make the magnolia's pop.Hopefully,yours will recover I have Ann in our garden.
Love all the pics you shared.

Easter Blessings to you!
Carolyn

Gardening in a Sandbox said...

I look forward to the magnolia blooming in the spring every year. I hope we do not lose too many blooms. V

Wren said...

Beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing and have a super Easter weekend.

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jen
I see some blooms starting to open on my Leonard Messel but I'm sure the display will be nothing like last year.
I lost most of my colourful heucheras, for some reason they don't do well here. Oh well, time to think about shopping for something new.
Happy Easter
Judith

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

What a pretty Magnolia! I hope the unopened buds will be okay. I was so jealous of all that warm weather everyone but us was having that I didn't think about it getting cold again and damaging plants.

lisa said...

We had record breaking temperatures a couple of weeks ago, and so much came into bloom. By the following Monday, we were in the teens, and everything was history. :-( Fortunately I got literally hundreds of photos of the magnolias (my favorite) before they were gone. These photographs are really beautiful!
Happy Easter to you!

Rettabug said...

Your magnolia tree is so beautiful, Jen....I hope it survives this crazy weather!

I have been covering & uncovering my roses & hydrangeas every single night this week, with the frost advisories we've been having. Lots of old sheets being used & I just leave them on the floor of the garage till the next night.
I HOPE we are done with it, now!!

Happy Easter, Honey!!!
Hugs,
Rett