Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Spring Arrived...

for only one weekend. As I write this post the garden is
covered with 3 inches of snow and it is still coming down.
But today is the 15th of the month, Garden Bloggers Bloom Day
and I am sharing what was blooming in the garden this weekend.
It still is, only under a blanket of snow, again.



There are clumps of snowdrops Galanthus nivalis in the woodland garden.
Last spring I took one of the clumps and divided it and was very happy to see the
transplants come through this harsh winter.


They should be divided just after flowering and replanted at once.
 It is best to replant the bulbs in a new location.




Usually I have yellow and purple crocus with a few white ones here and there, 
but last fall I planted these stripped ones
and they have been attracting hungry pollinators.


The white crocus always attract flies, not sure why,
 they have no special scent that I can smell.


This little one watches to see what I am doing to its' food supply.

Sharing with Carol for
Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.

I hope you can take time to enjoy what is blooming in your garden today.






14 comments:

julieQ said...

My tulips are on the verge of bloom...the iris are blooming. Don't you just love spring? I truly enjoy your photography skills!

Alison said...

I've heard about the snow this week in other areas of North America. Not completely unusual for April, but definitely a disappointment. Our snowdrops are done. I only have one small clump of them, but I need more. Love the shot of the fuzzy yellow pollen-cloaked bee.

Mersad said...

Oh wow, these are exceptional. So nice to see fresh spring images.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Lisa Gordon said...

You're in good company, Jenn.
80 degrees here on Sunday.
3 inches of snow and 19 degrees by tomorrow morning. :-(

HOWEVER, these beautiful photographs make me feel very springy, and they are just gorgeous!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

What a surprise this morning to be covered in snow again after I was out pruning yesterday with just a sweater on.
I'm going to plant snow drops again, most of my crocus are gone too - hope the squirrels enjoyed them! Lovely macros of the insects Jen.

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful photos Jen. I love the one of the pollen laden bee and the striped crocus is so pretty. Sorry about the snow. A poor man's fertilizer is always good in April. :)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Pretty flowers.

Flower Freak said...

I love your woodland blooms! they inspire me to start a garden along our woods line. About a third of our land is Conservation land.....which means it can't be built on or altered. it's a little patch of paradise!
You mentioned using a lot of native plants, which is the direction I'm going in so I'm happy to find you and be able to see what you grow! Happy Gardening!

Ida said...

The snow drops are so delicate and pretty and I do love how cheery crocus are. Hope you get more spring weather soon.

Bernie H said...

Old Man Winter needs to go on a holiday! He's been hanging around quite a long time. It's lovely to see those little signs of Spring though.

EG CameraGirl said...

Very pretty. I'm hoping spring will return soon. ;)

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Becca said...

Wow, fabulous shots Jen! So springy!

Diane at My Cottage Garden said...

I think we can safely say spring is here now! Your spring bulbs were beautiful. I had given up on snowdrops but have made a note to try again this fall.